Chocolate Earthquake Cake
- Yield 12 servings
A messy mix of chocolate, cream cheese, and chopped nuts.
"This cake looks like it has been through a disaster, but don't worry because it is so delicious no one will get a very long look at it."
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.5-ounce) can sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- Prepare cake batter according to package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-by-12-inch baking pan.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with the nuts and coconut. Pour cake batter on top.
- Melt margarine in a bowl. Add the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Stir to blend.
- Spoon over unbaked batter and bake for 40 to 42 minutes. You can’t test for doneness with this sticky cake. The icing sinks to the bottom while baking and makes a gooey white ribbon throughout.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This messy cake is great to make with children. They can learn baking and measuring basics without worrying about presentation. Try serving this dessert in a bowl with chocolate chips and whipped cream.
– Jean Bearrick, Chanute, Kan