Chocolate-Dried Cherry Bread Pudding
- 2/3cup (about 4 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 5large eggs
- 1/4cup plus 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1cup heavy cream
- 1cup whole milk
- 2tablespoons brandy
- Zest of 1 orange
- Seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/4teaspoon granulated sugar
- 6slices soft white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2cup (about 3 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1/2cup dried cherries
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Put dark chocolate chips in a large bowl. In another large bowl, whisk eggs and brown sugar together until well combined.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream, milk, brandy, orange zest, vanilla, salt, and granulated sugar to a boil. Pour hot liquid over the dark chocolate chips and whisk until melted and smooth. Pour dark chocolate mixture over egg mixture, whisking constantly, and whisk until combined. Add bread and gently stir to coat. Transfer bread pudding mixture to refrigerator to cool to room temperature. Stir in milk chocolate chips and dried cherries. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Position a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F. Place eight 4-ounce ramekins on a baking sheet and lightly coat ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir bread pudding mixture to evenly distribute chocolate chips and cherries. Divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and bake until puffed and set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Reprinted with permission from Desserts for Every Season. Copyright 2013, Rizzoli.