Chocolate Chip-Banana Muffins
- Yield 36 mini or 12 standard pieces
These treats by food blogger Katie Newall are naturally vegetarian and nut-free.
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas (at least half of the skin should be brown)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk or buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (at least 60% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a second mixing bowl, whisk together eggs. Add bananas and mash with a fork until almost smooth. Add olive oil, sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture until well combined and no lumps remain, about a minute. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place muffin wrappers in muffin tin (or grease muffin tins for easy release). Put a scant tablespoon of batter in each hole. Bake for 8 – 11 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (If using standard-size muffin tin, evenly divide batter among 12 muffin cups and increase baking time by 3 – 4 minutes.) Immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Katie Newell, Healthnutfoodie.com