- 6ounces white button mushrooms
- 6ounces cremini mushrooms
- 8ounces 93% lean ground beef
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2teaspoons canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-ounce) can reduced-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (optional)
- Chop mushrooms into 1/4-inch pieces. Reserve.
- Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook, breaking meat into very small bits. Drain. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Remove meat from pan. Reserve.
- Heat canola oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, onion and bell pepper. Saute until onions are translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add meat back to the pan, and stir in the beans, tomatoes (and their juice), cumin and cocoa. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes.
Tips: Adjust seasonings to taste. This can also be made with 100% ground turkey breast meat.
Recipe adapted from
MyPlate for Moms, How to Feed Yourself & Your Family Better, by Elizabeth M. Ward, M.S., R.D., courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel