- Yield 6 servings
Earthy mushrooms and unsweetened cocoa give this hearty chili unexpected depth and richness.
- 6 ounces white button mushrooms
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 8 ounces 93% lean ground beef
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-ounce) can reduced-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-ounce) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (optional)
- Chop mushrooms into 1/4-inch pieces. Reserve.
- Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook, breaking meat into very small bits. Drain. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Remove meat from pan. Reserve.
- Heat canola oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, onion and bell pepper. Saute until onions are translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add meat back to the pan, and stir in the beans, tomatoes (and their juice), cumin and cocoa. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes.