Chocolate Chess Pie
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- 2-- unbaked (9-inch) pie shells
- 3-- eggs
- 1 7/8cups sugar
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2cup baking cocoa
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-- (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2teaspoons whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Prick the bottoms and sides of the pie shells several times with a fork. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F. Combine the eggs, sugar, butter, baking cocoa and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat until blended. Add the evaporated milk and whole milk and mix well by hand. Pour into the prepared pie shells and bake for 35 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Anne Grimes’ Dumplings ‘N More; Recollections & Recipes (Ayden, North Carolina, 2008).