Chocolate Chess Pie with Whipped Cream Topping
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This chess pie will be a hit with the chocolate lovers in your family.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 5 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- To prepare the pie. Mix sugar and cocoa and set aside. Beat eggs and add vinegar, vanilla, butter and milk. Mix well. Add egg mixture to sugar and cocoa mixture and mix well. Pour into crust and bake at 325F for 35 to 40 minutes. Do not overbake.
- To prepare the topping. Whip cream and add sugar and vanilla while beating. Put dollop of topping on each slice of pie.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Shreveport-Bossier’s Revel (Shreveport, Louisiana, 2000).