Chocolate Charlotte Russe Cake
- Yield: 12 servings
- 4-- squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1/3cup milk
- 6-- eggs, separated
- 1 1/2cups unsalted butter
- 1 1/2cups confectioners sugar
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla
- 2-- dozen lady fingers, split
- 1cup heavy cream, whipped
- -- Shaved unsweetened chocolate
- Melt chocolate squares in top of double boiler over hot water. Mix granulated sugar, milk, and egg yolks and add to chocolate; cook until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Cool. Cream butter, add 3/4 cup confectioners sugar, and cream the two together. Add chocolate mixture and beat well. Beat egg whites with salt until stiff; gradually beat in remaining 3/4 cup sugar and fold into chocolate mixture. Add vanilla. Line deep 9-inch spring-form or loose-bottomed pan with split lady fingers. Put in alternate layers of 1/3 of mixture and remaining lady fingers. Chill overnight (or it may be frozen). Remove to cake plate and garnish with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Charlotte’s The Charlotte Cookbook (the Junior League of Charlotte, North Carolina, 1969).