Chocolate Charlotte Rousse Cake
- Yield: 12 servings
- 4-- squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1/3cup milk
- 6-- eggs, separated
- 1 1/2cups unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 1/2cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla
- 3-- dozen lady fingers, split
- 1cup heavy cream, whipped
- -- Unsweetened chocolate, shaved
- In a large saucepan, melt chocolate squares over low heat. In a bowl, mix sugar, milk and egg yolks. Add sugar and egg mixture to melted chocolate. Cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Cool. In a large bowl, cream butter well, add 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar and cream again. Add chocolate mixture to butter and sugar and beat well. Beat egg whites with salt until stiff. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar. Fold into chocolate mixture then add vanilla.
- Line a spring form pan with lady fingers. Alternate layers of lady fingers and chocolate mixture in one thirds. Chill overnight. Garnish with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Savannah’s Savannah Style (the Junior League of Savannah, Georgia, 1980).