Chocolate Charlotte Rousse Cake
- Yield 12 servings
Your family will love this delicious no-bake cake.
- 4 -- squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 6 -- eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 -- dozen lady fingers, split
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- -- Unsweetened chocolate, shaved
- In a large saucepan, melt chocolate squares over low heat. In a bowl, mix sugar, milk and egg yolks. Add sugar and egg mixture to melted chocolate. Cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Cool. In a large bowl, cream butter well, add 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar and cream again. Add chocolate mixture to butter and sugar and beat well. Beat egg whites with salt until stiff. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar. Fold into chocolate mixture then add vanilla.
- Line a spring form pan with lady fingers. Alternate layers of lady fingers and chocolate mixture in one thirds. Chill overnight. Garnish with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Savannah’s Savannah Style (the Junior League of Savannah, Georgia, 1980).