Chocolate Chai Pudding
- Yield 4 servings
Chocolate pudding becomes exotic with chai spices and can be made in a moment’s notice in the microwave. Kids can even prepare as an after-school treat.
- 2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk, divided
- 4 -- bags chai tea
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whipped cream (optional)
- -- Cinnamon (optional)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat 1 1/2 cups milk on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes until very hot but not boiling. Place tea bags in milk, cover with towel or plastic wrap and let steep 5 to 6 minutes. Remove tea bags, gently squeezing out milk; discard bags.
- Meanwhile, mix cornstarch, sugar and salt. Whisk in remaining ½ cup (chilled) milk until combined; stir in chocolate chips and warm milk tea. Cook on HIGH, uncovered, in microwave 4 to 5 minutes, until thick and bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm, or cover with plastic wrap (let wrap touch top of pudding) and let cool before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with whipped cream, if using.
Variation: To make Vanilla Berry Pudding, substitute a berry-flavored tea and leave out the chocolate chips.
Recipe by Serena Ball, R.D.