A low-fat, low-calorie brownie.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- Chocolate Frosting:
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup skim, milk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- To prepare the brownies: In a mixing bowl, beat margarine until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat well. Add egg whites, sour cream, milk and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, if using, and cocoa in another bowl. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Pour batter into the baking pan and bake 25 mintues, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting: In a mixing bowl, blend confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, vanilla and skim milk until frosting is of spreading consistency. Spread over top of cooled brownies and cut into squares.