Chocolate Brownie Roll-Out Cookies
- Yield 5 1/2 dozens
- Cook 8-11 minutes
Imitating the crunchiness of brownie edges, these cookies will delight any brownie lover.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl. Mix in vanilla. Gradually mix in dry ingredients. Scrape dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap tightly. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Roll dough to 1⁄4-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut into desired shape using a 1 1⁄2-inch cutter, brushing extra flour off tops. (It disappears once baked, so don’t fret if they go into the oven looking white.) Bake 8 to 11 minutes, until edges are firm and centers are slightly soft and puffed. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes 5 1⁄2 dozen.
Excerpted with permission from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman.