Chocolate Black Forest Upside-Down Cake
- Yield 32 pieces
The rich dark chocolate and luscious cherry topping make this low-fat cake hard to pass up.
- 1 -- (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spread cherry pie filling on bottom of a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- In a mixing bowl. combine flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Add liquid ingredients to flour and mixture all at once, stirring just enough to moisten mixture. Pour batter over cherry pie filling. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then invert onto a platter and let cool completely.