Choco Pastelitos (Fruit Pies w/chocolate)
- Yield: 20 servings
- 1/2pound dried apricots
- 1 1/2cups water
- 3/4cup sugar
- 2cups flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup shortening
- 4-6tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 1/2teaspoons brown or chocolate sprinkles
- 1/3cup Miniature chocolate chips
- Place apricots in a medium-size saucepan and cover with water. Cook at medium heat until fruit is soft and almost mushy. Drain.
- Puree fruit in a blender, add 3/4 cup sugar, return mixture to saucepan. Cook mixture at medium heat until thick. Set aside to cool. (When cool, add miniature chocolate chips).
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl and cut in shortening.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add water, little at a time, and work mixture into a dough.
- Divide pastry in half and roll each half on a lightly floured board to fit a 9×11-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Place one-half of rolled pastry on jelly-roll pan. Spread apricot mixture evenly over pastry.
- Place second-half of rolled pastry on top of apricot mixture. Cut pastry edges to touch sides of jelly-roll pan. Press edges of pasty together with a fork to seal edges.
- Sprinkle Brown or chocolate sprinkles over top of pastry. Using the tines of a fork, make several vent openings in pastry. The pastry can be lightly scored into squares to ease in cutting.
- Bake pastelitos in a 400 Degree F. oven for 30 minutes. Cool and cut pastelitos into small squares.