- Yield 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 small onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini (about 6 ounces) unpeeled and shredded (1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded (1/2 cup)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (26-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (9 ounce) box dried no-boil lasagna noodles (16 sheets)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook and additional 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium-higih. Stir in mushrooms, zucchini, carrot, salt and papper and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add turkey and thyme and cook eat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in pasta sauce, heat thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Whisk milk and nutmeg slowly into flour mixture. Increase heat and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, simmer, and stir until bechamel sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- To assemble, lightly oil or coat a 13 by 9 inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 1 cup meat mixture on bottom. Lay 5 noodles on top, allowing them to overlap, breaking the 5th noodle as needed to fill in empty spaces. Top with 3/4 cup bechamel sauce, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 2 cups meat mixture and 1/4 cup mozzarella. Repeat with a second layer of 6 noodles, overlapping and breaking noodles to cover completely. Add 3/4 cup bechamel sauce, 1/4 cup Parmesan, remaining meat mixture and 1/4 cup mozzarella.
- Top with remaining noodles, bechamel sauce and cheese. Cover loosely with foil and bake until bubbly, about 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Reprinted with permission for Liz Weiss and Janice Newell Bissex’s No Whine with Dinner (M3 Press, 2011).