- Yield 3 cups
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 8 mins
- 6 large plum tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and sliced in half
- 3 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 to 4 serrano chiles, seeded, deveined and minced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place tomatoes, onion and garlic cloves in a dry cast-iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat. Roast until all sides are charred, turning occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes and onion; place in food processor. Peel garlic cloves; add to tomato mixture. Pulse until roughly chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl; add serrano chiles, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate, covered, up to 2 weeks.
Recipe by Sandra Gutierrez.