Chipotle Swiss Fondue
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Try this spicy Swiss fondue.
- 3 1/2 cups (14-ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle chiles
- 2 tablespoons chopped cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- Toss the cheese with the flour in a bowl. Place a metal bowl over a saucepan filled with 2 inches of water. You may also use a conventional double boiler. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and pour the wine into the bowl. Stir in the garlic using a fork. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add half the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted, stirring constantly. Add the remaining cheese a small amount at at time, stirring constantly in a circular motion after each addition until the cheese is melted. Fold in the chile, bacon and pepper. Pour into a warm fondue pot and keep warm over low heat. Garnish with scallions.
Note: The cheese is shredded and tossed with flour to aid in thickening and to improve the viscosity of the fondue. The fondue should be a consistency of warm honey when completed. Monitor the cheese carefully as it is being added. Not all of the cheese may be needed, and, in some cases, more cheese may be needed to reach the perfect consistency.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Melting Pot Restaurants’ Dip Into Something Different, (The Melting Pot Restaurants, Inc. 2008).