Chipotle Sloppy Joes with Crunchy Coleslaw
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 15 mins
Coleslaw cools the chipotle heat of this Sloppy Joe variation -- grab extra napkins.
Cool crunchy coleslaw teams with the smoky flavor of chipotle beef to create a taste sensation you'll never forget.
- Crunchy Coleslaw:
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups packaged coleslaw mix
- 1/2 -- red bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
- -- Black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -- whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- To prepare Crunchy Coleslaw, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper sauce and salt in small bowl. Add coleslaw mix and bell pepper; toss to coat. Season with black pepper, as desired. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Brown ground beef with onion in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef up into crumbles. Pour off drippings. Stir in ketchup, corn, beans, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in cilantro, salt and black pepper.
- Place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; top with coleslaw. Close sandwiches.
Adapted from The Healthy Beef Cookbook by the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the American Dietetic Association (John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2006).