Chipotle Black Bean Burgers
- Yield: 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup diced white or yellow onion
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from the can of chipotle peppers)
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 6 whole-grain or spelt hamburger buns
- 6 slices tomato
- 6 slices red onion
- 3 romaine lettuce leaves, cut in half
- Warm 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Put the onion mixture, black beans, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, brown rice, salt, and cumin into a food processor and process until the black beans are mashed but some small pieces of black beans are still visible.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and fold in the bread crumbs.
- Divide the mixture into 6 balls of similar size (about ½ cup each) and flatten into patties. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until each side begins to darken, adding oil as needed.
- Place each burger on a bun and dress with the tomatoes, onion, lettuce, and ketchup.
Cook’s Tip: If using canned beans, 3 cups is approximately two 15-ounce cans. Make sure to rinse the beans well before using.
Recipe from Quick and Easy Vegan Celebrations: 150 Great-Tasting Recipes Plus Festive Menus for Vegantastic Holidays and Get-Togethers All Through the Year, copyright © Alicia C. Simpson, 2010. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment, LLC.