Chipotle Bacon, Avocado & Tomato Paninis
- Yield 2 servings
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 -- avocado
- 1 -- tomato
- 1 small red onion
- 4 slices whole wheat sour dough bread
- 1/4 cup grated, reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 dashes cooking spray
- Cook some turkey pepper bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to a paper towel and drain grease from skillet. Wipe out crunchies with a paper towel best you can w/o burning yourself, but don’t completely clean out skillet.
- Turn the heat on under the skillet to really low. Throw about 2 T of brown sugar into the skillet. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the skillet—enough to wet the brown sugar. Stir in about 1 T of adobo sauce/chipotle chilis (freeze the rest).
- As soon as the mixture is all bubbly, put the bacon back in the skillet and move it around to get chipotle mix to cover the bacon. Turn off heat; set aside.
- Meanwhile, get avocado, tomato, whole wheat sour dough bread (and red onion if you’re having it) and some reduced fat cheddar cheese ready. That is, slice everything up and grate the cheese. Heat up another flat skillet or your panini grill.
- Assemble the panini: Lightly spray both outsides of the bread with some cooking spray, spread reduced fat mayo on one half of the bread, add the bacon, tomato, (red onion if wanted) and avocado. Salt and pepper the avocado a little bit, if desired. Top it off with grated cheese and the top slice of bread. Grill until brown on both sides.