- Yield 10 to 12 servings
A vegetable filled rice recipe, compatible with any meat
"I recall my mother teaching me how to make this recipe when I was a girl. It is fairly simple and versatile. I've added celery and other meats besides pork to fit my family's tastes. It was served with biscuits and sometimes with salad or soup as a side dish, depending on how many people were eating."
- 4 eggs
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked meat (pork, chicken, beef, and/or shrimp), cut into strips
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme or favorite Asian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Beat eggs with a small amount of water, then cook in greased or nonstick frying pan. Cut into strips, set aside.
- Saute onion and celery in small amount of oil.
- Add rice, eggs, meat, thyme or other seasonings, soy sauce, and salt. Heat thoroughly.
Note: The dish will go further if you add one egg and one-half cup of cooked meat for each person served over four.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: For additional color and flavor, add some snow peas, baby corn, or strips of red pepper.
—Amie A. Conant, Loveland, Colo.