Chinese New Year's Rice Cake
- Yield: 8 servings
- Raisins, nuts and dry cherries for decoration
- Dry Ingredients
- 1pound glutinous rice flour (also called sweet rice flour)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4cup dried cherries
- 1/4cup candied pineapples, chopped
- 1/4cup dried dates
- 1/4cup chopped nuts
- Wet Ingredients
- 3 eggs
- 3/4cup canola oil
- 1 1/2cups water
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Add other wet ingredients to the eggs and stir. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in the batter. Bake for 40 minutes. The cake will rise when done. A knife poked into the center will come out clean.
- Decorate the cake with three raisins each for eyes, nuts for the nose and cherries for a smiling mouth.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Ying Chang Compestine’s The Runaway Rice Cake (Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2001)