Chinese Five-Spice Melon Soup
- Yield servings
- Prep 20 minutes
- Cook 2 hours
The trio of Chinese five-spice powder, grated ginger, and fresh Thai basil will wake up your taste buds for the next course.
- 2 medium cantaloupes, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh Thai basil
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cantaloupe with the cream, sugar, lemon juice, and Chinese five-spice powder. Transfer the puree to a pitcher.
- Place the grated ginger in a piece of cheesecloth. Squeeze the ginger of its juice and add the juice to the cantaloupe mixture. Discard the ginger solids.
- Cover and refrigerate the cantaloupe soup for 1 to 2 hours.
- Pour the soup into individual bowls and garnish with the Thai basil.
From the book You Won’t Believe It’s Salt-Free!, by Robyn Webb. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2012.