Chinese Chicken Salad
- Yield 4 servings
We cut down the calories in this lunch classic by baking the wonton wrappers rather than buying them fried and using much less oil in the dressing. Fortune cookies are sold in the asian food section of the supermarket and at asian grocery stores.
- 12 square wonton wrappers
- 4 cups mesclun or torn romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 package enoki mushrooms
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 scallions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce (optional)
- PREHEAT the oven to 350F. Cut the wonton wrappers into 1/2″ strips. Place the strips on a nonstick baking sheet. Coat with cooking spray and bake until crisp and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- COMBINE the lettuce, chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts, scallions, and celery in a large salad bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the vinegar, peanut oil, sesame seeds, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, mustard powder, and sriracha sauce (if desired). Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables. Toss to blend. Top with the crisp wonton skins.
Reprinted from 400 Calorie Fix by Liz Vaccariello with Mindy Hermann, RD, and the Editors of Prevention. Copyright (c) 2010 by Rodale Inc. By permission of Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.