Chilled Vidalia Onion Vichyssoise
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 4 Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 leek, white part only, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1quart light chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1tablespoon chives, minced
- Heat a heavy bottom soup pot and add butter. When butter begins to foam, add onions, reduce heat to medium and cook 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally (do not allow onions to color).
- Add leeks and continue to cook 3 more minutes, then add stock and potatoes and simmer 30 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool 30 minutes.
- Carefully puree mixture in a blender, place in a covered contained and chill overnight.
- When ready to serve, whisk in cold heavy cream and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle into chilled bowls and top soup with a spoonful of softly whipped cream and top with minced chives.