Chilled Sweet Red Pepper Soup
- Yield 4 servings
Try serving this summer soup in a yellow bell pepper half.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 large red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white part only
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- -- chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add bell peppers, leeks, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tenter, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor. Process until smoth, stopping once to scrape down the sides. Strain. (Should be 3 cups liquid.) Combine liquid, buttermilk, and white pepper in a large bowl. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with chives when ready to serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Houston’s Stop and Smell the Rosemary (Junior League of Houston Inc., 1996).