Chilled Strawberry Soup
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2quarts strawberries
- 1cup sugar
- 2cups water
- 2cups Rhine or moselle wine (semisweet white wine)
- -- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- -- Grated zest of 1 orange
- -- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- -- Sour cream
- Process the strawberries in a food processor until pureed. Press through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Chill until cold.
- Combine the sugar and water in a 1-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes or until a thin syrup forms. Chill until cold.
- Mix the strawberry puree, sugar syrup, wine, lemon zest, orange zest and lemon juice in a large bowl. Chill, covered, for 2 to 3 hours to allow the flavors to blend or until serving time.
- Ladle into chilled cups or bowls. Add a generous dollop of sour cream to each serving. Do not stir in the sour cream. The soup is best when a small amount of the sour cream is taken with each spoonful.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the National Association of Junior Auxiliaries’ Silver Spoons Blueberry Afternoons (the National Association of Junior Auxiliaries, Inc., Greenville, Mississippi, 2008).