Chilled Sorrel Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1head garlic
- 2 1/2teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 6cups vegetable stock
- 1/2pound sorrel, coarsely chopped
- White pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove some of the excess parchment-like skin from the outside of the garlic head. Slice off the top of the head, exposing the individual garlic cloves. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon oil over the garlic cloves and replace the top. Wrap head in aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Open foil, exposing the garlic head, and bake for another 30 minutes. Squeeze cloves out of garlic head and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté until tender. Add roasted garlic pulp, potato and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Chill in refrigerator until cool.
- Once cooled, add sorrel and purée the soup in a blender. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Serve cold.
Recipe by The Painted Table, Seattle, Washington. Published in Best in the World II, Jennifer Keller, R.D., editor, courtesy of The Cancer Project