Chilled Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 2heads cauliflower, trimmed
- 3-- garlic cloves
- 2-- shallots
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 6cups chicken stock
- 1teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1-- bay leaf
- 2cups heavy cream
- -- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut the cauliflower into 1-inch florets. Arrange with the garlic and shallots in a roasting pan and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast at 425F for 30 to 45 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and golden brown.
- Remove the mixture to a large saucepan. Add the stock, thyme and bay leaf and simmer for 30 to 60 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft. Discard the bay leaf. Process in a blender until pureed. Pour into a bowl and mix in the cream, salt and pepper. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator. Ladle into chilled soup bowls.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Devon Horse Show and County Fair’s Appetizers at Devon(Devon, Pennsylvania, 2008).