Chilled Plum Bisque
- Yield 6 servings
When plums are at their best, make this chilled summer soup for breakfast or an an afternoon "pick me up."
- 2 pounds plums, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups apple, cranberry or grape juice
- 1 cup water or dry red wine or white wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup plain or vanilla low-fat yogurt
- In a nonreactive medium saucepan, place the plums, fruit juice, water or wine, cinnamon stick, ginger root and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer slowly 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon zest and juice.
- Transfer to a container and cover loosely. After cooling at room temperature 30 minutes, refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Whisk in the yogurt or serve garnished with a dollop of yogurt in each bowl.