Chilled Fennel Salad with Shaved Parmesan and Lemon
- Yield 2 servings
The natural licorice flavor of fennel is delicate and needs merely to be enhanced. It can be sauteed in butter or olive oil or served as a salad.
- 2 cups assorted field greens
- 1 bulb fennel, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Place a small bed of field greens on a plate to make a base for this salad, if you wish. I prefer to begin by piling the sliced fennel on a serving plate, stacking it as high as possible. Drizzle olive oil over fennel, squeeze lemon over all and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with cheese.