Chilled Carrot Apple Soup with Ginger
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A wonderful combination of flavors make up this tasty chilled soup.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 -- tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- -- Sour cream and snipped chives for garnish
- Saute onion in olive oil until sot (do not brown) in a 3 to 4-quart stockpot.
- Add all remaining ingredients except orange juice and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, partially cover, and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Puree soup in food processor or blender in small batches so it does not splatter.
- Pour into large container and add orange juice, mixing well. Chill and adjust salt. Chilled soup often needs more salt.
- To serve: Ladle soup into bowls; top with a dollop of sour cream and snipped chives.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington, Inc.’s Entertaining with Bluegrass Winners (Lexington, Ky., 2008).