Chilled Apple Rice Salad
- Yield 6 servings
This fruit and rice salad is full of robust flavors and will be a welcomed dish at your dinner table.
- 3 cups chilled cooked rice, no salt added
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped in bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 green onion, minced (including green portion)
- Salad greens for garnish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup defatted chicken broth, less salt
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- dash red pepper
- Mix together salad ingredients. Chill. Combine dressing ingredients. Just before serving, dress and toss salad.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Baton Rouge’s River Road Recipes III (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1994).