Chili with Black Beans and Beef
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
Serve this chili with shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro and nonfat sour cream for a deluxe version.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, chopped with their juice
- 1 (12-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added Italian-style tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1 (7-ounce) can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 (12-ounce) can light beer
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onions, red pepper and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground sirloin, cooking until meat is browned, about 6 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Stir in black beans, tomatoes, Italian-style tomato paste, tomatoes, green chilies, beer, chili powder, basil, oregano, cumin and salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.