Green Chile Relleno Casserole
- Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- 4-- eggs
- 1 1/2cups milk
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- -- dash of oregano
- -- dash of chili powder
- 3-- (7-ounce) cans whole green chiles, split open (reserve liquid)
- 4cups Cheddar cheese, shredded (approximately 1 pound)
- 4cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (approximately 1 pound)
- 1-- (8-ounce) can tomatoes
- 1medium onion
- 1-- garlic clove
- -- Oregano
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1-- (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- -- Liquid from chiles (approximately 2 cups)
- -- Oil
- To make casserole: Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish. Beat eggs, milk, flour, pepper, salt, oregano and chili powder in a medium bowl. Arrange 1/3 of chiles in prepared dish, covering completely. Sprinkle with 1/3 of each cheese. Repeat layering twice. Pour egg mixture over cheese. Let stand 30 minutes, cover and refrigerate (can be prepared 1 day ahead). Bake uncovered until casserole is slightly puffed in center and golden brown on edges, about 45 minutes. Cool 20 minutes and serve with accompanying sauce.
- To make sauce: Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add tomatoes, liquid and spices. Reduce heat and simmer 3 hours, then puree.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Ogden’s Art of Cooking (the Junior League of Ogden, Utah, 2003).