- Yield 8 to 10 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 60 mins
It's the spice mix that gives this chili its flavor and depth.
- Spice Mixture:
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, chopped (1 each red, green, and yellow pepper)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 (15-ounce) cans beans (2 cans each garbanzo, black beans, pinto beans, canellini or navy beans, and red kidney beans), drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoon honey
- Shredded sharp Cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Diced raw onion
- Pickled jalapenos
- Sour cream or yogurt
- Chopped cilantro and avocado
- To prepare the spice mixture, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- To prepare the chili, heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add spice mixture, onions, peppers and garlic; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add remaining ingredients; stir well. Simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve hot with any or all of the garnishes.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.