Chili Cheese Chicken
- Yield 4 servings
A marinated chicken dish easily poured over pasta.
"With everyone being more health conscious, this is my family's favorite. I serve it with a large salad and fresh fruit. It is a good dish for end of summer when vegetables are garden fresh. "
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped cilantro, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- Combine olive oil, spices, cilantro, salt and black pepper in a jar. Secure with a lid and shake vigorously until well blended.
- Arrange chicken in a shallow pan and pour the marinade over the top. Turn a few times to coat evenly. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange chicken on the sheet. Top with onion, tomato and bell pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove from the oven, sprinkle evenly with Cheddar, and bake 3 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Drizzle pan drippings over all.
Recipe by Mary L. Daring, Carey, Ohio