Chili and Lime Chicken Potato Tacos
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
This recipe is great for people who crave Mexican food but strive to consume fewer calories. The chili and lime flavors make this recipe truly authentic and with all four recipes under 250 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving, they’re perfect to include in a low-calorie diet.
- 1/2pound Yukon Gold or red potatoes, cut into bite-size cubes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1/2pound diced boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4cup finely chopped poblano, Anaheim or bell pepper
- 1teaspoon Mexican seasoning blend
- 1/2cup red chili enchilada sauce
- 1/2cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 4small corn tortillas, warmed or crunchy taco shells
- Shredded cabbage or romaine lettuce, diced tomato, diced avocado, thinly sliced radishes, fresh cilantro leaves and salsa (optional toppers)
- 8 lime wedges
- Place potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 5 to 7 minutes. Spray a large skillet liberally with cooking spray. Add potatoes and onion to skillet; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring and coating with cooking spray occasionally. Stir in chicken, pepper and seasoning and cook for 5 minutes more. Add red chili enchilada sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Place equal amounts of cheese on each tortillas and heat in a skillet until cheese is melted. Add potato mixture and any other desired toppings. Serve with lime wedge.
- Chicken Verde Potato Tacos: Cook potatoes, onion, chicken and peppers as directed above. Omit garlic salt. Stir in 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning blend and 1/2 cup green chile salsa.
- Turkey and Red Chili Potato Tacos: Sauté potatoes and onions as directed above. Omit chicken and add 1/2 pound 99% lean ground turkey with peppers and Mexican seasoning; cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in 1/2 cup red chili enchilada sauce and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Soy Chorizo and Vegetable Potato Tacos: Omit chicken. Prepare potatoes and onions as directed above and stir in 1/2 cup soy or vegetable chorizo, 1/3 cup each: diced zucchini, diced tomatoes and chopped mushrooms with Mexican seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes more. Great topped with scrambled eggs.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 220
- Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 40mg
- Sodium 200mg
- Potassium 415mg
- Carbohydrate 25g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 19g