Chiles Rellenos Bake
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4 (4-ounce) cans whole chilies
- 1/2pound ground pork
- 1/2pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups milk
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 1cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch deep casserole dish.
- Remove seeds from chiles. Place chiles from two cans flat on the bottom of dish.
- In a skillet, cook pork, beef, onion and garlic until meat is well browned. Drain grease. Spoon meat mixture over chilies in casserole dish. Add Cheddar cheese in an even layer. Place remaining chiles evenly over cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, flour, milk, salt and Tabasco. Pour mixture over the second layer of chilies. Sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese on top. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Remove cover, and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Rosemary Reno, Powell, Wyoming