Chiles Rellenos Bake
- Yield 8 servings
- 4 (4-ounce) cans whole chilies
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch deep casserole dish.
- Remove seeds from chiles. Place chiles from two cans flat on the bottom of dish.
- In a skillet, cook pork, beef, onion and garlic until meat is well browned. Drain grease. Spoon meat mixture over chilies in casserole dish. Add Cheddar cheese in an even layer. Place remaining chiles evenly over cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, flour, milk, salt and Tabasco. Pour mixture over the second layer of chilies. Sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese on top. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Remove cover, and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Rosemary Reno, Powell, Wyoming