Chile-Rubbed Tuna with Mango Salsa
- Yield: 6 servings
- Mango Salsa:
- 1/2-- mango, diced
- 2-- scallions, diced
- 1-- tomato, diced
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro
- 2teaspoons minced garlic
- 2tablespoons honey
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- Chile-Rubbed Tuna:
- 1-- serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1-- canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1-- jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- 1tablespoon honey
- 1tablespoon paprika
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 6-- (6-ounce) tuna steaks
- To prepare the salsa. Combine the mango, scallions, tomato, cilantro and garlic in a bowl. Stir in the honey, lime juice, chili powder and salt. Store in the refrigerator for 2 hours or longer before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- To prepare the tuna. Combine the serrano chile, chipotle chile and jalapeno chile in a food processor. Add the honey, paprika, lime juice, lime zest, cumin and kosher salt; process at high speed until pureed. Combine with the tuna in a bowl, turning to coat evenly. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill. Grill the tuna for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the tuna and brush with the marinade. Grill for 3 or 4 minutes longer or until the fish flakes easily. Serve with salsa for a southwestern seafood specialy dish.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest North Carolina’s Tested by Fire, Triad Community Kitchen (Winston-Salem, North Carolina, 2011).