Chile and Lime Chicken Potato Tacos
- Yield: servings
- 1/2pound yukon gold or red potatoes, cut into bite-size cubes
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1/2pound diced boneless, skinless chicken breats
- 1/4cup finely chopped poblano, anaheim or bell pepper
- 1teaspoon Mexican seasoning blend
- 1/2cup red chili enchilada sauce
- 1/2cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 4small corn tortillas, warmed or crunchy taco shells
- shredded cabbage or romaine lettuce, diced tomato, diced avocado, thinly sliced radishes, fresh
- 8 lime wedges
- Place potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 5 to 7 minutes. Spray a large skillet liberally with cooking spray. Add potatoes and onion to skillet; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring and coating with cooking spray occasionally. Stir in chicken, pepper and seasoning and cook for 5 minutes more. Add red chili enchilada sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Place equal amounts of cheese on each tortillas and heat in a skillet until cheese is melted. Add potato mixture and any other desired toppings. Serve with lime wedge.
Chicken Verde Potato Tacos: Cook potatoes, onion, chicken and peppers as directed above. Omit garlic salt. Stir in 1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning blend and 1/2 cup green chile salsa.
Turkey and Red Chili Potato Tacos: Sauté potatoes and onions as directed above. Omit chicken and add 1/2 pound 99% lean ground turkey with peppers and Mexican seasoning; cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in 1/2 cup red chili enchilada sauce and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
Soy Chorizo and Vegetable Potato Tacos: Omit chicken. Prepare potatoes and onions as directed above and stir in 1/2 cup soy or vegetable chorizo, 1/3 cup each: diced zucchini, diced tomatoes and chopped mushrooms with Mexican seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes more. Great topped with scrambled eggs.
Recipe courtesy of the United States Potato Board