Children’s Fried Rice
- Yield 4 servings
Try adding peas and carrots for added nutrition.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (16-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Bring the rice and broth to a boil in a saucepan; reduce the heat. Cook until the rice is tender; drain.
- Saute the chicken in a nonstick skillet over low to medium heat until cooked through, turning occasionally.
- Whisk the egg and milk in a bowl until blended. Scramble the egg mixture in a skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray until the desired degree of doneness.
- Combine the rice, chicken, and scrambled egg in a skillet. Cook over low heat just until brown, stirring frequently. Cool slightly and garnish with parsley and carrot strips.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of New Orleans’ Crescent City Moons, Dishes and Spoons (the Junior League of New Orleans, Louisiana, 2010).