Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
- Yield 4 servings
Chickpeas and mushrooms are seasoned both spicy and sweet in this Asian influenced wrap.
The lettuce leaf brings the dish together and offers a refreshing crunch to balance the filling’s assertive flavors.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce*
- 2 teaspoons sriracha*
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek*
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot**
- 12 leaves boston, bibb or romaine lettuce
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Add the hoisin sauce, sriracha, sambal oelek, onion powder, garlic powder and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, or until chickpea mixture is bubbly and caramelized.
- Sprinkle in the arrowroot and stir together.
- Fill the lettuce leafs with the chickpea mixture, fold lettuce together like a taco.
* Hoisin, sriracha and sambal oelek are Asian sauces and spices that can be found in the Asian food section or the spice section of most grocery stores.
** A thickening agent found in the spice section of most grocery stores.