Chickpea Burgers with Tahini Sauce
- Yield 8-10 servings
- One 15-ounce can (or 1 1/2 cups cooked) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 4 buns or pita pockets
- One 6-ounce container plain nondairy yogurt
- 1 to 2 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor until thick and pasty. (You may mash them by hand, but it is a little more labor- intensive and time- consuming.) Transfer to a medium- size bowl.
- To the bowl, add the onion, garlic, parsley, tahini, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and baking powder. Slowly add the bread crumbs until the mixture holds together. Add more bread crumbs, as needed. Shape into patties.
- Place on a nonstick cookie sheet and bake for 10–12 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Using a spatula, flip each patty over, and cook for 10–12 minutes more until the other side is golden brown. Remove from the oven. Alternatively, you may fry the patties with a little oil in a pan on the stovetop.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the yogurt, tahini, cucumber, lemon juice, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Chill for at least 30 minutes, and serve with the chickpea burgers, along with lettuce, tomato, and onion on a bun or in a pita pocket.
Excerpted from THE 30-DAY VEGAN CHALLENGE by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Copyright © 2011 by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Excerpted by permission of Ballantine Books, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
This cookbook is available for purchase here.