Chickpea, Avocado and Pea Shoot Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
Any kind of “shoots” will work in this recipe, as well as none at all.
- 1/2-- small red onion, minced
- 1-- large carrot, finely chopped
- 2-- to 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1-- (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4cups water
- 1/2-- red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2-- avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1cup pea shoots, watercress or broccoli sprouts, washed
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 1tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4teaspoon coarse salt
- To prepare salad, place onion, carrot, radishes and chickpeas in a large bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over vegetables. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- To prepare dressing, whisk together all ingredients in a small skillet over medium heat. Simmer until thoroughly heated.
- Add red pepper, avocados and pea shoots to chickpea mixture and drizzle dressing over top. Toss to coat; serve warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Terry Walters' Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well (Sterling Publishers, 2010).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 120
- Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 550mg
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 3g