Chickpea, Avocado and Pea Shoot Salad
- Yield 4 servings
Make your next meal “clean”—whole, minimally processed and local—with this quick-and-easy chickpea salad.
Any kind of “shoots” will work in this recipe, as well as none at all.
- 1/2 -- small red onion, minced
- 1 -- large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 -- to 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 -- red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 -- avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup pea shoots, watercress or broccoli sprouts, washed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- To prepare salad, place onion, carrot, radishes and chickpeas in a large bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over vegetables. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- To prepare dressing, whisk together all ingredients in a small skillet over medium heat. Simmer until thoroughly heated.
- Add red pepper, avocados and pea shoots to chickpea mixture and drizzle dressing over top. Toss to coat; serve warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Terry Walters' Clean Start: Inspiring You to Eat Clean and Live Well (Sterling Publishers, 2010).