Chicken with Tomato Tarragon Sauce
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A low-fat, simple, smooth, yet seasoned sauce to serve over rice.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions (scallions)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, optional
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, brown chicken pieces about 5 minutes per side. Season to taste. Add mushrooms and green onions and cook over medium heat, 3 minutes. Add wine and cook about 2 minutes, stirring to scrape browned bits from bottom of skillet. Stir in tomato sauce, tarragon, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook on medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is tender. If desired, sprinkle with feta and serve.