Chicken With Garlic, Rosemary & White Bean Stew
- Yield: servings
- 2pounds mixed bone-in, skinless chicken parts
- 2teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10ounces pearl onions, peeled and halved (or use canned or jarred)
- 5cloves garlic, chopped
- 3whole carrots, diced
- 4ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1cup dry white wine
- 4cups cooked cannelloni or Great Northern beans (or 2 19-ounce cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (or dried, if you must)
- 2cups chicken broth (or 1 14.5-ounce can +2 tablespoons water)
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large, nonstick soup pot over high heat, warm the olive oil. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Add pearl onions, carrots, garlic and Canadian bacon; saute until onions are lightly browned. Stir in balsamic vinegar and white wine; bring to a boil and then simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is reduced by about one third. Stir in beans, rosemary and chicken broth. Bring back to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 20 minutes.
Ladle into large bowls and serve with rustic bread and salad.