Chicken with Artichokes and Olives
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- 1-- whole chicken, 3 ½ to 4 pounds
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1cup freshly ground breadcrumbs
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1cup dry white wine
- 2cups chicken stock
- 1cup green olives, pitted and stuffed
- 2cans artichoke hearts, drained and halved*
- Preheat oven to 500F. Spatchcock whole chicken by cutting down the back, removing backbone. Turn chicken over on flat work surface, pressing down so that chicken lays flat. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In large heavy fry pan over high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place chicken in pan, skin side down; immediately transfer pan to oven and roast 10 minutes. Turn chicken over; continue roasting until cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, place breadcrumbs on baking sheet; drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss well. Place in oven and bake, tossing occasionally, until golden and crispy, about 5 – 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Add parsley and toss together.
- Remove chicken from oven; place on platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Place pan back on stove over medium high heat. Add wine and boil to reduce by half, about 4 minutes. Add chicken stock; boil to reduce by one quarter, about 5 – 7 minutes. Add olives and artichoke hearts and heat 1 – 2 minutes.
- To serve, cut chicken into serving size pieces and place on platter. Top with artichoke hearts and olive; sprinkle crispy breadcrumbs on top.
*For full-fresh flavor, chef’s preference is to use 6 large artichokes. Peel artichokes and quarter. Soak in bowl of water flavored with juice of 1 lemon. Cook by warming 2 tablespoons olive oil in oven-proof frying pan over medium heat. Add fresh artichokes and cook, covered, about 10 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook on high heat until golden and crispy, about 5 minutes more
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 880
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 48g
- Saturated Fat 11g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
- Monounsaturated Fat 25g
- Cholesterol 170mg
- Sodium 2060mg
- Potassium 1000mg
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugars 6g
- Protein 62g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 15%
- Vitamin C 20%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 30%