Chicken Tortilla Soup—Reduced-Fat
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A reduced-fat version of a classic soup.
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1 -- (28-ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -- (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 -- (16-ounce) bag frozen corn
- Tortilla Strips and Condiments:
- 4 -- (6-inch) flour tortillas, baked
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (scallions)
- 1 small avocado, peeled and diced, optional
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato puree, chicken, chili powder, cumin and lime juice and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and continue cooking until chicken is done, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add corn and continue cooking 5 more minutes. Serve with tortilla strips and condiments.
- To make tortilla strips, while soup is cooking, preheat oven to 350F. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch wide strips. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and lay strips over sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Strips may be stored in zip lock bags or frozen.