Chicken Tomatillo Enchiladas
- Yield: servings
- 3-- boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- -- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- -- Roasted Tomatillo Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2small white onion, sliced
- 1-- plantain, spotted but not fully black, diced
- 1tablespoon roasted garlic
- 1-- red bell pepper roasted and cut in strips*
- 1-- yellow bell pepper roasted and cut in strips*
- 2-- poblano peppers roasted and cut in strips*
- 1tablespoon chicken stock or water
- 12-- fresh corn tortillas (6")
- -- Garnishes: Cilantro, Avocado, Cotija cheese
Coat chicken with lime juice, olive oil, chili powder and salt. In a 10" skillet over medium heat, lightly brown chicken on one side, then turn and add Roasted Tomatillo Sauce. Cover and simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through. Shred cooked chicken and return to pan. Cover and keep warm.
In a non-stick skillet, saute onion and plantain in vegetable oil until onion is translucent and plantain is slightly browned. Stir in roasted garlic and pepper strips.
Fill tortillas with chicken mixture then roll enchilada style. Cover with pepper and plantain mixture and garnish with cilantro, avocado, and Cotijja cheese.
*To roast peppers, place under broiler, turning until charred. Cool in sealed plastic bag. Remove stem, skin and seeds.
Roasted Tomatillo Sauce: In a blender or food processor, blend 1 lb roasted tomatillos, 2 Serrano peppers, 1 Tbsp roasted garlic, 1/4 tsp allspice, pinch of ground cloves, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, and 1/2 cup chicken stock or water. Taste and adjust salt and sugar (sauce should be just slightly tart). Stir in 1/4 cup finely diced white onion and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.