Chicken Tetrazzini with Asiago Cheese
- Yield servings
Grated Asiago cheese tops this classic chicken casserole.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (meat from one 3 1/2-pound chicken)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup no-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound linguine or other pasta, cooked
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic, sauteing until translucent, about 4 minutes. Increase heat to high and stir in mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are tender and any liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Lower heat to medium and stir in flour. Gradually stir in white wine and chicken broth. Bring to simmer and stir in heavy cream. Reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer for 1 minute. Stir in basil and sun-dried tomatoes, season with salt and pepper.
- Mix half the sauce with the linguine. Mix remaining sauce with chicken. Butter 2 1/2 quart casserole dish; place pasta in dish making a hole in the center. Place chicken in hole; sprinkle casserole with cheese. Bake until brown on top and hot throughout, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.